Thursday, May 23, 2013

Books on bees...

I have been so busy reading up a storm. Every book I could, I have checked out from the library on bee keeping. I have been gifted books and also started attending the monthly meetings at Willamette Valley Beekeeping Association, where they have a great library. Here is my list of books I am reading.

"Hive Inspection Basics For Northwest Beekeepers" by Bee Outside Publications

"The Hive and the Honey Bee" by Joe M Graham

"DIY Projects for the Self-Sufficient Homeowner" by Betsy Matheson

"The Backyard Beekeeper: An Absolute Beginner's Guide to Keeping Bees in Your Yard and Garden" by Kim Flottum

"ABC and XYZ Bee Culture" by Amos Ives Root

"The Joys of Beekeeping" by Richard Taylor

"Keeping Bees: All You Need to Know to Tend Hives, Harvest Honey & More" by Ashley English

"The Backyard Beekeeper's Honey Handbook: A Guide to Creating, Harvesting, and Cooking with Natural Honeys" by Kim Flottum

"A Spring Without Bees: How Colony Collapse Disorder Has Endangered Our Food Supply" by Michael Schacher

"Urban Beekeeping: A Guide to Keeping Bees in the City" by Craig Hughes

"The Beekeeper's Bible: Bees, Honey, Recipes & Other Home Uses" by Richard Jones

"A World Without Bees" by Allison Benjamin

"Keeping Bees" by John Vivian

"The Art & Adventure of Beekeeping" by Ormond & Harry Aebi

"The Complete Handbook of Beekeeping" by Herbert Mace


Here is a list of books I am reading to my 4 and 6 year old sons, to prepare them for the bees:

"honeybees" by Deborah Heiligman

"Bees" by Rebecca Rissman

"Don't Squash That Bug: The Curious Kid's Guide to Insects" by Natalie Rompella

"Honey Bees" by Lola M. Schaefer

"Bees" by Sophie Lockwood

"Bees and Their Hives" by Linda Tagliaferro

"The Bumblebee Queen" by April Pulley Sayre

I also took a trip to Ruhl Bee Supply in Portland, to pick up some frames. This was a great trip as we got to see all of the bee equipment up close and personal. I am making my own hive, bee veil and protective clothing for me and my family and have been taking photos for tutorials after I have proven they will protect.












No comments:

Post a Comment